Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Top Ten Tuesdays: Character Names for My Kids


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week we're being asked to list our Top Ten Favorite Characters I'd Name My Children After....

Definitely not sure I'll manage ten on this one. Here we go....

1. Nancy. For Nancy Drew. I would hope a daughter of mine with that name would be as resourceful as her literary namesake.

2. Phryne. For Phryne Fisher from Kerry Greenwood's series. Ditto for the grown-up's Nancy Drew. But I wouldn't want to know if my daughter had as many lovers as Phryne has.....

3. Bunter. For Mervyn Bunter...Lord Peter Wimsey's right hand man. But I'd have to go with Bunter and not Mervyn....just don't think a child of today deserves to be called Mervyn.

4. Ellery. For Ellery Queen. Another detective novel inspiration.

5. Kate. For Kate Fansler...star of the Amanda Cross mysteries (do we see a pattern of inspiration?)

6. Earnest. For Oscar Wilde's marvelous character invention.

7. Scout. From To Kill a Mockingbird.

8. Phileas (as in Fogg) from Around the World in 80 Days.

That's it...don't think I could force any more....


7 comments:

Lark Andrea said...

Great list! I love that you used Scout. She is such a great character.

Reading Lark's Top 10

Alison Can Read said...

I have a friend named Ellery and a friend's daughter too! It's such a cute name.

Irene Palfy said...

Ha! I was thinking of Scout too! :") And I love that you picked Earnest! I think Phineas is one of my favourites of your list. Anyway: Great picks! I hope you'll have great week! :")

Unknown said...

My oldest daughter's name is Shana. I found the name in a book called The Girls of Huntington House when I was in the 9th grade. Decided then and there that would be my first daughter's name and it was!

Birdie said...

hehehehe I *knew* Nancy and Phryne would make it on there!
And Bunter WINS! You might have noticed from my list that I have a thing for butlers LOL.
I'm vaguely surprised that neither of us decided on "Gervase". *snort*

Red said...

I like the name Ellery, simple yet a bit unexpected. Very pretty

Teacher/Learner said...

He he...I love The Importance of Being Earnest. Brilliant word play! I agree, Ellery is an interesting name. So many literary characters have names so bold that you probably wouldn't hear of otherwise. This was a fun top 10 :)