Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Debuts


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week we're being asked to list our Top Ten Favorite Debut Novels (Ever!).

1. Whose Body? by Dorothy L Sayers. My mystery loving life would not be complete without Lord Peter Wimsey and Bunter.

2. A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. And I definitely could not do without Sherlock Holmes.

3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. First. Last. And only. But one of the all-time best no matter how you look at it.

4. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. Another stand-alone that I absolutely love.

5. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Some of the best of British wit.

6. Changing Places by David Lodge. More terrific British wit.

7. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. He had some earlier collections, but this was his first novel. And such a good one!

8. I, Robot by Isaac Asimov. Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Silverberg...all my SF crushes from my teen years.

9. The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie. The beginning of Hercule Poirot!

10. A Man Lay Dead by Ngaio Marsh. Another beginning to a wonderful mystery series.





4 comments:

Tony D said...

I've never read Asimov's I, Robot...but I am a fan of Foundation despite not really being an SF reader.

Birdie said...

We've got some crossovers here...you know what they say about great brains

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Wonderful, and mysterious list. You thought of books that I didn't. Guess there are a lot of books out there. Ha!

Anne
Headfullofbooks

Ruth @ Bookish Ruth said...

You've highlighted several of my favorites (Doyle, Christie, Adams) and several that I want very much to read (Sayers, Lee, Bradbury). Great list!