Saturday, February 19, 2011

Library Loot: February 16-22


Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire (The Captive Reader) and Marg (The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader) that encourages bloggers to share the books they've checked out of the library. If you'd like to participate, just write up your post, feel free to steal button, and link up using the Mr. Linky on Claire's site this week. And, of course, check out what other participants are getting from their libraries.

This week's haul is pretty slim pickings with only one new book and one leftover and nothing from the Library's bookstore (this has got to be an all-time low for me).

New Book: First off, let me just say that I LOVE my local library. This is the fourth time I have suggested that they order up something that they didn't already have in circulation and they didn't even bat a virtual eyelash at it (the request is an online form). I suggested that they order The Thornthwaite Inheritance by Gareth P Jones a mere four weeks ago and it was ready and waiting for me on the hold shelf today. I'm not generally an YA or mid-age book reader at this stage in my life, but when I came across a review for this o
ne over at Fleur Fisher's , I just had to read it. Here's the scoop:



Ovid and Lorelli Thornthwaite have been trying to kill each other for so long that neither twin can remember which act of attempted murder came first. But whoever struck first, trying to take each other's lives is simply what they do. Until one day a lawyer arrives at their house to take stock of its contents, and his accompanying son attracts their attention. Soon a new battle evolves - one in which the twins have to work together to solve the mystery of their parents' deaths. Can Lorelli and Ovid overcome their old animosities, and will they ever get to finish that game of chess?


Leftover Loot (see past Loot post for description):

Zubin Mehta: The Score of My Life by Zubin Mehta (reading now)


3 comments:

Linda said...

This one looks good. Enjoy!

bermudaonion said...

I found you from Cheryl's blog and I'm impressed by your restraint at the library.

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

How great that your library is so responsive to your requests, though how could they not be when you're asking them to get books as interesting as this one! Enjoy your loot, it sounds wonderful!