Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Resolutions 2011


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week we're being asked to list our "Top Ten Books I Resolve to Read in 2011." Here we go:


1. Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne. This one has been on my TBR list for so long that it's got a long flowing beard. I've started the darn thing about three times and always seem to get to the same place and then quit. I will finish it this year.

2. Emma by Jane Austen. I love Austen. You'd think that I would have read everything by her by now. Not so. Gonna work on changing that.

3. Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay by Nancy Milford. Another book that I've started but never finished. Not that it wasn't interesting--but it's so darn long.

4. Middlemarch by George Eliot. One of those monster "I was an English Major and I like the Victorian era--I should read this" books. I do want to read it--but it's very intimidating sitting there on the shelf.

5. The High Crusade by Poul Anderson. A carry-over from my Science Fiction days....need to get it off the shelves.

6. The Best of Mystery by Alfred Hitchcock. A gift from my best friend (too many Christmases ago). Need to get that one off the shelf too....

7. Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. An early mystery that I've wanted to read for a long time.

8. The Leavenworth Case by Anna Katherin Green. Another vintage mystery that's been on the list for quite a while.

9. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I've seen so many good things about this one.

10. Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis. (The whole trilogy, actually.) Another carry-over from science fiction days.

13 comments:

Suzanne said...

I just read a piece about Tristram Shandy's 250th anniversary the other day -- it does sound interesting. Good luck with it.

Beverly said...

Thanks for stopping by The Wormhole - I too have already found a couple more challenges - I will probably cave too. Happy Reading - your top ten list looks somewhat daunting. Good luck!

Marce said...

Last year was suppose to be Book Thief for me , maybe it will be 2011.

The Best of Mystery sounds good.

Daisy said...

I read the Book Thief last year and it made my best of 2010 list, if that's encouraging to hear :)
And I love Emma, seeing as you like Austen, I think you'll probably enjoy it as well.

Irene Palfy said...

Savage Beauty sounds interesting - hm... ;") Thank you for the Gothic-link! That was a great help!! :")
I am eager to hear/read what you'll think about the book thief. So far it seems that I only know three people who didn't like it. (including me, I got to confess.. But I think that was because I expected more about the "death angle"..)

LBC said...

I love love love Tristram Shandy. I am a strange breed, but I hope you get some enjoyment out of it as well.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

You certainly have a diverse list! I'm always surprised when people who say they prefer a genre choose other genres to read. I like that.

Anonymous said...

I love Emma - it's easily my 2nd fave Austen novel. I have Middlemarch on my Kindle in the hope that I'll get to it at some stage this year.

Megan Mack said...

I have The Book Thief on my list as well. I've heard so many good things about it that I picked it up from the library. Only on page 50 but it has already sucked me in :)

brandileigh2003 said...

I have heard good things about the book thief.

Irene Palfy said...

Thank you for commenting on my list! Now I am even more eager to read The War against Miss Miller! :")

Birdie said...

I've been told over and over again that Middlemarch is the best Victorian novel, period. I just somehow can't bring myself to face it. But I'll be very interested to hear what you think of it.
I should also pick up the C.S. Lewis sci-fi trilogy. I read Out of the Silent Planet before, but never got any farther. It may be time to start them again.

Ruth said...

Wow! This is an outstanding list! You have given me some great books to put on my list for this year. I could never get into the C.S. Lewis trilogy. But those other mysteries sound fantastic! And the vintage sci-fi sounds pretty good.