Friday, October 1, 2010

The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is a bookish meme hosted by Storytime with Tonya. It's really easy (and fun!) to participate.

*Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
*Turn to page 56 and Find the fifth sentence.
*Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section below.
*Post a link along with your post back to this blog and either Storytime with Tonya or The Bookaholic Zone (or both, if you like).
*Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST

I currently have two reads going, so both are right here by my side. I have signed up for the Dueling Monsters Read-a-Long where we have Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde mixing it up with Dorian Gray. So, here are two for the Friday 56:

From The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde:

Lord Henry laughed, "I don't desire to change anything in England except the weather," he answered. "I am quite content with philosophic contemplation. But, as the nineteenth-century has gone bankrupt through an overexpenditure of sympathy, I would suggest we appeal to Science to put us straight."

And from The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson:

"But hark again, a little closer--put your heart in your ears, Mr. Utterson, and tell me, is that the doctor's foot?"

5 comments:

Red said...

I need to read Dorian Gray again. I loved the character of Lord Henry. He had the best lines.

Bev Hankins said...

Yeah...this is a re-read for me on both of these. But with Halloween coming, I just couldn't resist. (Not that I don't have tons of books that I've never read sitting around looking forlorn because I'm ignoring them...)

Book Loving Mommy said...

Hi there! I'm a new follower to your blog :) I loved both these books and what great reads for Halloween! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, those are quite contemplative...I'm thinking I should read these books!

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Buffy said...

Oooh, two classics!