Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Table Talk Tuesday


Table Talk Tuesday is brand new bookish meme hosted by Cheryl at CMash Loves to Read. Click on the link for the full scoop (and to add yourself to her Mr. Linky to participate). But here are the basics:

The meme is meant to help book bloggers get to know one another. Imagine we're all sitting down for coffee (or, hopefully, tea is acceptable too!) and chatting. She wants us to list three tidbits about ourselves or three questions we'd like others to answer. Link up via her blog and start visiting and having a big ol' coffee/tea party!

First off...I'll answer the tidbit questions she's posted:

1. How do you take your coffee? I'm afraid I don't. My mother-in-law has tried converting me, but I just don't care for it. You can froth it up and make it fancy. You can add flavorings and milk and sugar and whatever else you can think of to toss in there. It's just not happening for me. I'll take a mint tea with a bit of honey, please. Thank you.

2. Are you artistic, can you paint/draw? I can, but I don't think I have a natural talent. I have to use pencil and there is a lot of erasing involved before I can get things looking the way I want. Can't just sit down and toss off a sketch and have it look fabulous.

3. Hoarders: I don't watch TV at all. Everything I watch is pre-recorded. But co-workers have talked about that show and I find it so sad that people can get into such an obsessive state over things. I know I'm bad about my books--but if it came down to it and someone said having all those piles teetering about the room and collecting dust was unsafe and unhealthy and they'd take my son away if I didn't get rid of them. I'd be able to do it......I think. :-)


And my tidbits (I'm going to go with things you may not know about me):

1. When I don't have my nose in a book, I'm banging balls around the softball field. I play for our English Department's co-ed softball team.

2. I have a son who is "this close" to being an Eagle Scout (we're waiting on his Board of Review). Cross your fingers for him!

3. I've been collecting beavers (stuffed, porcelain figures, etc) since I was a junior in high school. At that time I took a class on Latin Derivatives and one of the assignments was to see what our names meant and where they came from. Beverly = beaver meadow (or dweller in the beaver meadow).

11 comments:

CMash said...

1. You must be in great shape!! I was, sadly to say, never athelic.
2. GL you must be so proud of him!! Great accomplishment.
3. Quite interesting...I wonder what my name means.
Hope to meet for tea next week and catch up!!
CMash

Audra said...

Love this -- cute idea! Thanks for sharing these tidbits. Good luck to your son!

Library Cat said...

Hi Bev,
I am with you - not a huge fan of coffee. And unfortunately, I love sports but have a natural talent for clumsiness!! So I usually just watch.
Good luck to your son - I know you must be very proud. Scouting is so good for kids.
I collect postcards. I probably have over 600 now. I used to collect pigs as well, but that got out of hand (could wind me up on Hoarders!).

Nice to meet you - enjoy that zero calorie pastry!

Carol said...

Hi
joining u from Cheryl's hop.
Good luck to your son.

carol

Jeanne C. said...

Hi Bev... joining in from the Table Talk hop!
Good luck to your son!
Have a great day!

Marce said...

Hi Bev, I can handle coffee when a ton of milk and sugar has been added.

You son must be on pins and needles.

Have a great week.

Bev Hankins said...

@Marce: My thing with coffee is if it's "an acquired taste" or something you have to drown in added flavorings, then why bother.

Lily said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for your son! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm a new follower :)
~Lily
www.neverfadingwood.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I used to play ball. My daughter's mother in law is on a team and I'd love to join. I need to talk to her about it!

That's great about your son! I wish him luck!

Interesting trivia about your name, I'll have to see what mine means.

I collect Lighthouses.

Sarah Joyce said...

My parents tried to have me play softball when I was a kid. This was before I had my eyes tested and learned that I have appalling vision. Needless to say I wasn't very good at the time and the experience never made me want to try again.

My brother just got his Eagle in June. I know that's a lot of hard work and I hope his board of review goes well. What was his service project? My brother painted our churches library, which turned into a bigger project then anyone in my family was bargaining for!

It's interesting how some people flock to their name meanings. Sarah means princess and because of the constant reminders i got of this as a child I still harbor a little obsession with super girly fairy tales and the Disney Princesses.

Bev Hankins said...

@Letter4no1: My son built six benches and did some trail maintenance (putting down erosion bars) for a trail out at the local reservoir. That, too, turned into a bigger project than anticipated. There were moments when I did not think he'd make it.