Thursday, August 26, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate, just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do or do not like this sentence.

Here's mine from Death Is a Lonely Business by Ray Bradbury:

"Venice, California, in the old days had much to recommend it to people who liked to be sad."

I'm not sure exactly whether I like the first sentence. It does bring the reader in and make you start asking questions. The question right away for me was "Is the narrator sad? Did s/he come here to be sad? Is this story about the sadness of death?"

I do like so many of Bradbury's sentences, though. I particularly like this one from page two: "I became aware of him finally because of him swaying, swaying, standing there behind me for a long time, as if undecided because there were forty empty seats and late at night is hard with so much emptiness to decide which one to take."

8 comments:

pussreboots said...

Sounds familiar but I don't remember reading the specific Bradbury book.

My beginning is from The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart.

Cat said...

I think any opening line that invites questions is a good one.

Happy reading!

Amanda said...

I'm with Cat. I think that any opening line that reels you in, piking your interest so you're saying: hmm what's going on here? Is a good start to a novel.

gautami tripathy said...

Wonderful opening lines..

Here is my post!

Sean Wright said...

I find it to be a bit disjointed, but then I suppose that's the point.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I like that we know, immediately, where the story is set...it conjures up images of the place. When we read that it's for "people who like to be sad," I get the feeling that maybe this is a place to go to "lick your wounds."

Thanks!

Here's mine:

http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/friday-memes-56-and-book-beginnings-2/

Jenny Q said...

I liek the opener, but I really like the other line you shared. I've never read anything of his. Here's my BB.

Rebecca Chapman said...

I like the tone that it sets. Hope you enjoy it