Friday, August 27, 2010

56 Hops


It's Friday so it's time for The Hop and The Friday 56.



Over at the Book Blogger Hop, a bookish meme designed to get book bloggers out on the 'net checking out other blogs and hosted by Crazy For Books, Jennifer is asking us: Do you use a rating system for your reviews and if so, what is it and why?

Well...my system is pretty simple 1-5 stars--based on the system from Visual Bookshelf where I first started rating books. One star means the book was just plain, stinking awful. If I finished it, I'm not sure why and there's a good chance that I didn't. If I bought it, it's leaving the house. If it was borrowed, it's going back where it came from asap. Two stars means it wasn't horrible, but it could have been better. There are a few redeeming qualities--maybe I like the characters or the plot but it doesn't all come together. Three stars: this was a decent outing. Enjoyable read, no real complaints--but nothing really knocked my socks off. Four stars: over-all pretty outstanding. Lots to like from characters to plot to style to setting.... A book I'd probably re-read (if there weren't so many on my TBR list already) and would recommend to others. Five stars: A must have, must read, must recommend book. Absolutely knocked my socks off on all counts. Even though I really don't have time to re-read books, I will re-read this one (probably more than once). I may bore my friends to death talking about how great this book is and will recommend it to everyone whether it's their kind of book or not. A book to obsess over.



And now on to the Friday 56 (a bookish meme hosted by Storytime with Tonya)....

*Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
*Turn to page 56.
*Find the fifth sentence.
*Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (fi you do not have your own blog) in the comments section below.
*Post a link along with your post back to this blog and Storytime with Tonya.
*Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


Here's mine from my current read, Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth:

"We kept matzohs in our lockers. Not really, of course, but if we wanted to we could, and we weren't ashamed to say that we actually did!"

13 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Have a blast hopping to/following new blogs or beginning great books!

Here is my Book blogger hop/Follow me/Book Beginnings post! I am an eclectic reader!

Readaholics said...

Hey, just stopping by on the hop. Hey, I'm having a giveaway! Sign up!
See ya,
Dana
Readaholics Anonymous

Howard Sherman said...

Happy Hop Friday!

I like seeing ratings in the book reviews I read but don't follow the practice myself.

Nat said...

Here from the Hop. Hope you have a great weekend!

CMash said...

It looks like the 1-5 is universal. Have a great weekend.
CMash

Ms. C said...

Hi! I found you through the Hop and really like your work. I'm a new follower! Feel free to check my blog out at www.coffeetalereviews.blogspot.com :)

Black Disaster Fairy said...

Hello, found you via the book hop!

I like your ratings. Happy Reading this weekend!

Black Disaster Fairy

http://literarydaydreams.blgospot.com
http://wickedsexybooks.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I haven't done a friday 56 in a while! Thanks for the reminder lol. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am your newest follower! I love your background :) Have a good day.

Danielle @ everylastpage.blogspot.com

Lit Addicted Brit said...

Hi!

I've been trying to be a follower for ages but my internet seems to be thwarting me!

I love your blog and your reviews and am eternally stunned by the length of your TBR list!

Have a fab weekend,
Lit Addicted Brit

BookQuoter said...

Thanks for stopping by earlier. I like ratings myself. It's always hard for me to read vague reviews. Have a good weekend also.

Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

Hey, saw you had stopped by and wanted to return the trip and wish you a great weekend!

Marce said...

The book was plain stinking awful, lol, I love it.

Thanks for hopping by

Susan said...

Just Hopping by and enjoying your blog. Have a great weekend!